Common sense isn't.
You can expect to come across some rough looking characters in the area, but I haven't personally had any trouble yet. It is a fairly remote area, though, and there isn't much "supervision." Most people seem friendly enough, and they usually wave as they pass. On weekends the main road is more crowded, and many ATV riders are probably from the local Windrock ATV Club. I've been there once mid-day on a Friday, and we didn't see more than a handful of other people. Since the road is about 1 1/2 lanes wide in most places, people have to cooperate to get through.
Be aware that, like most places, trouble happens. A search of the Oak Ridger's Newspaper archives turned up several articles about various criminal or accidental happenings, as listed below.
But what area hasn't had trouble?
- ATV Accidents:
- Bodies disposed:
Guilty Plea - 1/10/02 article, 6/27/00 article, 5/17/00 article, 4/14/00 article, 2/24/00 article, 2/14/00 article, 2/11/00 article, 2/11/00 article
7/3/00 article, 3/21/00 article, 3/20/00 article
- Shooting out lights on tower 5/29/00 article
- DUI 2/29/00 article, 2/28/00 article
- Driving on Suspended License 9/26/00 article (2 by same person)
- Running off the road 7/19/02 article, 3/6/00 article
- Drug "lab" found and other drug problems 10/2/00 article, 6/30/00 article, 6/29/00 article, 6/2/00 article
- Vandalism Oil Wells 7/13/00 article Car 2/23/00 article
- Coercion of Witness 3/13/00 article, 2/22/00 article,
- Arson 11/6/00 article including picture of Windrock Road being blocked, 11/22/99 article, 11/17/99 article, 9/15/98 article
|Quote of the moment|
|On a fair prospect some have looked, And felt, as I have heard them say, As if the moving time had been A thing as steadfast as the scene On which they gazed themselves away.|
|~ William Wordsworth, Peter Bell. Part i. Stanza 16. ~|
Common sense isn't.
Images stored locally for protection of your privacy (unless/until you search with Google).
Disclaimer Fine Print: This site is personal, and is independent of TVA or any other organization. Use of the abbreviation "TVA" is purely for descriptive purposes (for example, to distinguish from wind power plants on Buffalo Ridge in Minnesota). No endorsement, no approval, and no involvement by TVA is implied.
Copyright © 2000- hal9000[zat]mensetmanus.net
I last touched this page on Saturday, 2007-11-17 at 05:09:09 UTC.